[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Late Bloomer

Lynne Welch welchly at oplin.org
Wed Apr 25 12:53:48 EDT 2007

Heidi - and anyone else who would care to venture an opinion, please do
chime in!

    Yesterday I attended a meeting of Ohio librarians regarding the
feasibility of adopting an Open-Source ILS throughout much of the state,
especially for small to medium-sized libraries affected by the recent
SIRSI Horizon decision. My question to you-all is:  if the librarians
got together and prepared a list of must-have's and would-like's, would
it be feasible for a group of masters-level students and teachers at
either one or several state-funded universities to collaborate on a
tweaked version (for example of Evergreen) that would work for various
sizes of libraries throughout Ohio?

    For example, Kent State offers a partnership program between the
schools of Library Science and those involved with Business Management
and Computer Science, leading to an advanced degree in "Information
Architecture and Knowledge Management" -- what would be the likelihood
of several classes and faculty working together as a requirement of
graduation, to maintain, upgrade and monitor developments elsewhere
vis-a-vis Evergreen? They would get real-life experience, the library
community would achieve a usable system at a lower cost than paying
developers (and possibly with the added benefit of knowing that the
school is not likely to close its doors without sufficient advance
warning to its clientele) - and since our (the public's) tax dollars pay
for the schools, the schools could provide a useful service that would
allow libraries to spend more of their tax dollars on equipment,
materials, and overhead. A win-win solution, to my way of thinking.

    But since I'm not an academic, and my understanding of the work
involved in coding is at a minimal level, I wanted to solicit the
opinion of Those Who Know These Things ;-)      before I propose it to
our State Librarian and the people at the library school for
consideration. What do you-all think?

      Lynne
Lynne Welch
Herrick Memorial Library