[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen O/S

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 12:05:56 EST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 11:41 AM, Edward Corrado <corrado at tcnj.edu> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just received a new server to install Evergreen on for testing
> purposes. Typically, I've stayed away from Debian-based distros, but it
> seems Evergreen is mostly being developed (and installed) on
> Debian-based distros (or Gentoo), so I'm thinking about going with one
> of them. All things being equal, my choice probably would be RHEL, which
> we have a site license for, or at least I think we do. However, I have
> no problem trying a Debian based distro if it will cause me less
> troubles with Evergreen.

There shouldn't be any problems, per se, but the directions are not up
to date (if they even exist anymore).  I don't think it would take an
unreasonable amount of effort to port the directions from
Debian/?bunutu, replacing apt-get with rpm commands.

> I noticed install instructions for Debian Etch x32 ans Ubuntu. Does
> anyone have a reason why I should use one over the other, or is it just
> personal preference? Also, is their a reason not to use x64?

No reason at all.  The PINES production machines are all x64 (Opteron) boxen.

--
Mike Rylander