[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen O/S

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Mon Dec 10 12:29:58 EST 2007

The BC Pines productions machines are all x64 [Xeon :(] boxes. We're
running Gentoo x64, but only because it was the distribution our shop
had experience with, and because our first choice, the current
long-term support release of Ubuntu Server, didn't support some of our
whiz-bang hardware. The next LTS release is in April, and I would give
some thought to moving at that point.

Though it has been working well, only the first fifteen minutes of
waiting for all those packages to compile is cool. Then it just gets
very lame. :) There's a setup Makefile now that automates installation
of prereqs for Debian and Gentoo, which will reduce the typing, but
not the wait...

Brandon

Quoting Mike Rylander <mrylander at gmail.com>:

> On Dec 10, 2007 11:41 AM, Edward Corrado <corrado at tcnj.edu> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just received a new server to install Evergreen on for testing
>> purposes. Typically, I've stayed away from Debian-based distros, but it
>> seems Evergreen is mostly being developed (and installed) on
>> Debian-based distros (or Gentoo), so I'm thinking about going with one
>> of them. All things being equal, my choice probably would be RHEL, which
>> we have a site license for, or at least I think we do. However, I have
>> no problem trying a Debian based distro if it will cause me less
>> troubles with Evergreen.
>
> There shouldn't be any problems, per se, but the directions are not up
> to date (if they even exist anymore).  I don't think it would take an
> unreasonable amount of effort to port the directions from
> Debian/?bunutu, replacing apt-get with rpm commands.
>

>> I noticed install instructions for Debian Etch x32 ans Ubuntu. Does
>> anyone have a reason why I should use one over the other, or is it just
>> personal preference? Also, is their a reason not to use x64?
>>

> No reason at all.  The PINES production machines are all x64 (Opteron) boxen.
>
> --
> Mike Rylander
>  | VP, Research and Design
>  | Equinox Software, Inc. / The Evergreen Experts
>  | phone:  1-877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)
>  | email:  miker at esilibrary.com
>  | web:  http://www.esilibrary.com

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant