[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Beginner's Open Source Info and III users

Deb Bergeron bergeron at macalester.edu
Mon Dec 10 14:45:49 EST 2007

Hi!

In talking with a few of the III sites that are considering moving to
Open Source from this list, I can share the following information that
we put together after having both LibLime (Koha)  and Equinox
(Evergreen) folks  present at our III Regional User Group Meetings in
Spring and Fall 2007. The information is below.

Additionally, there appears to be interest in continuing these
discussions offline.  If anyone is interested, we can establish a Google
Group and do LiveChat.

I'll be happy to help set up the Google Group.

Please let me know if you have any questions about the content below.

Deb

The following Fall MNIUG 2007 presentations and addtional Open Source
information is provided for you by popular demand!

Thank you all for making the conference a success. We had 140
participants--the highest attendance ever!

Please let us know if you have any questions, comments, or would like
more information by sending an email to the MNIUG Steering Committee
<mailto:mniug at googlegroups.com>.

<http://waldolib.org>
<http://liblime.com>
         KohaZoom:

    * *John Stromquist's* presentation "Waldo Open Source ILS
      <http://clic.edu/mniug/waldo_OpenSource_ILS-10-30-07v3.ppt>."
    * *Joshua Ferraro's* presentation, " Open Source Library Automation,
      All Grown Up
      <http://liblime.com/resources/open-source-library-automation-presentation.pdf>,"
      from our Spring 2007 MNIUG conference.
    * LibLime at http://liblime.com.
          o Go to LibLime's KohaZoom
            <http://liblime.com/products/koha/koha-zoom> product.
          o Check out the playground at http://liblime.com/demos.
          o KohaZOOM has Cataloging, Circulation, OPAC, Acquisitions,
            Serials, and currently developing an ILL module. Koha ZOOM
            incorporates open source Zebra software, enabling Boolean
            searching, relevance ranking, faceted searching, and so on.
          o LibLime <http://liblime.com> offers hosted and non-hosted
            solutions.
          o LibLime Facts and Stats
            <http://clic.edu/mniug/liblime_facts_102807.doc>.
          o MasterKey MetaSearch <http://liblime.com/products/masterkey>
            federating searching product demo
            <http://masterkey.indexdata.com/>.
          o WALDO <http://www.waldolib.org> Consortium--John Stromquist,
            Executive Director.  Information about the consortium and
            their membership.  WALDO <http://waldolib.org> is moving
            from ExLibris to KohaZOOM.

    Contact *John Stromquist*:
    john at waldolib.org <mailto:john at waldolib.org>
    p: (800) 326-6495 ext 3
    f: (914) 729-1985

    Contact *Joshua Ferraro*:
    jmf at liblime.com
    <mailto:jmf at liblime.com>p:1(888)KohaILS

<http://esilibrary.com/esi/home.html>
      Evergreen:

        * *Jason Etheridge*, Equinox Software
          <http://esilibrary.com/esi/home.html>, Enhancement List Blog
          post <http://clic.edu/mniug/enhancement_list_102207.doc>.
        * *Tim Daniels*, PINES Program Manager, Georgia Public Library
          Service <http://www.georgialibraries.org/gpls/gpls.html>
          presentation "PINES/Evergreen Migration
          <http://clic.edu/mniug/VPINES_evergreen_stolaf_deb.ppt>".
        * Equinox at http://esilibrary.com.

              o Read the blog <http://esilibrary.com/blog/>.  There's a
                tremendous amount of information about Open Source.
              o Evergreen <http://www.open-ils.org/> has a working
                Cataloging, Circulation, and OPAC module working and are
                developing an Acquisitions and Serials module.
              o Equinox <http://esilibrary.com/esi/home.html> offers
                both hosted and non-hosted solutions.
              o FAQ at http://www.open-ils.org/faq.php.
              o Checkout the playground at http://demo.gapines.org/.

    Contact *Jason Etheridge*:
    phasefx at gmail.com <mailto:phasefx at gmail.com>
    1-877-OPEN-ILS (877-673-6457)

    Contact *Tim Daniels*:
    tdaniels at georgialibraries.org <mailto:tdaniels at georgialibraries.org>
    p: 404-235-7151
    f: 404-235-7201

*Overview of Open Source:*

    * What is Open Source Software?
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_source_software

    * Open Source Initiative provides information on the Open Source
      Development process and licenses at http://www.opensource.org/.

*Open Source Licensing:*

    * GPL Licensing at http://www.gnu.org/.  Both LibLime
      <http://www.liblime.com> and Evergreen <http://esilibrary.com> use
      GPL Licensing.

*Open NCIP:*

Open NCIP Project <http://openncip.org/>. The site not only discusses
the project, but provides information of the current protocol. (Joshua
Ferraro <mailto:jmf at liblime.com> from LibLime <http://liblime.com>
talked about this at the MNLink <http://www.minitex.umn.edu/mnlink/>
User Conference Friday, November 2, 2007

--

Deb Bergeron <mailto:bergeron at macalester.edu> System Admin: User Support
CLIC Consortium <http://clic.edu>