[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Importing Bibliographic Information

Karen Collier kcollier at kent.lib.md.us
Wed Jul 25 13:26:57 EDT 2007

I found a page in the Wiki on Importing Bibliographic Records
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:importing:bibrecord

It looks like good information, but there's a point not yet covered that my
coworker and I were wondering about.  Specifically it states:

"You can add a copy manually through the staff client via the Holdings
maintenance screen, but if you're bulk-importing MARC records you probably
want to bulk load the associated copies, call numbers, and barcodes as well.
To be written - sorry!"

Our question is, can you import copies, call numbers, locations, etc in
bulk?  Our existing ILS (Horizon) will let us export our MARC Records and
holdings info together, but the question is what to do with this, and will
the instructions from the wiki page above still apply, or how would they
differ?

Going through thousands of bib records one at a time, adding holdings info
is just not practical, so I'm sure there's got to be a better way.  Any
guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,
Karen

--