[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Start Up Questions

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:58:13 EDT 2007

On 7/26/07, Jami Miller <MillerJ at franklin.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am researching the transition from a commercial ILS system to an open source ILS system and have a couple questions:
>
> 1. What commercial system was PINES using prior to the Evergreen implementation?

I believe it was DRA/Dynix Classic, but I'm not 100% sure...

> 2. Was the previous system supporting a consortia or did the consortia form after the Evergreen implementation?

The previous system supported the PINES consortium.  I believe other
libraries were brought in after migration, but the majority existed
prior on the old system.

> 3. If so, did each library maintain its own installation that talked to a central system or was the original commercial implementation completely centralized? (I have read about the 5 year contract expiring and wonder if each server at each institution was expiring at the same time or only one at a central location)

As far as I know, the original system was housed on servers at a
central location.  This is the same way the current system is
implemented.

> Any info would be greatly appreciated!

On the Open-ILS page (http://www.open-ils.org) has a link to "BC
PINES".  BC PINES is (as I understand it) an attempt to build a
province-wide library consortia similar to GA PINES.  In this case
(again, as I understand it), the plan is to build a new system and
import the data from the members that decide to join.  This case is a
little different than GA's implementation, as there will be several
ILS's merging into 1 instead of a simple 1:1 migration.  I have no
doubt, though, that it won't be too bad... Evergreen is flexible like
that ;)

> Thanks so much,

You're welcome!  If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate
to contact the list(s)!  Also, feel free to test-drive the staff
client, the OPAC, or your own full-blown installation on VMWare, all
of which are available at the Open-ILS web site
(http://www.open-ils.org)

> Jami Miller
>

> Jami Miller
> Systems Librarian
> Franklin University Library/Phillips Hall
> 303 South Grant Avenue
> Columbus, OH 43215
> 614.947.6561

--Don