[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Evergreen Start Up Questions

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:07:39 EDT 2007

Hi Jami, and thanks Don!  Just a couple minor clarifications...

On 7/26/07, Don McMorris <don.mcmorris at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/26/07, Jami Miller <MillerJ at franklin.edu> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am researching the transition from a commercial ILS system to an open source ILS system and have a couple questions:
> >
> > 1. What commercial system was PINES using prior to the Evergreen implementation?
> >

> I believe it was DRA/Dynix Classic, but I'm not 100% sure...

It was Unicorn, actually.  Same vendor now a-days, though. :)

[snip]

> > 3. If so, did each library maintain its own installation that talked to a central system or was the original commercial implementation completely centralized? (I have read about the 5 year contract expiring and wonder if each server at each institution was expiring at the same time or only one at a central location)
> >

> As far as I know, the original system was housed on servers at a
> central location.  This is the same way the current system is
> implemented.

It was on a single central ($2M+) Solaris server, yes.  Now PINES is
on a central cluster of about 30 Linux servers (failover, HA, etc) for
about 1/8 the total cost.

--miker