[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] In the pipeline

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 01:01:45 EDT 2007

So we're coming up on the 1.2.0 release of Evergreen, which is quite a
milestone.  The 1.1 branch has diverged a good bit from 1.0, both on
the front end

  * I18N is beginning to look real-ish in the OPAC
  * there's a shiny new report templating interface
  * many things have been sped up

and on the back end

  * installation is much less rough
  * the indexing is more flexible
  * the low-level storage access is more powerful

And that's not even getting to all the cleanup and bug-fix patches
that have been sent to us.

There are still a couple things we want to get in before we cut the
first RC.  There may be some OpenSRF reorganization (it's its own
project now) and there are some security and permission enhancements I
really want to get done.

After we get to that point, we have big plans for the 1.3 dev branch

  * full I18N
  * tons of OPAC enhancements (many of which will move back into 1.2)
  * Java client (and probably server) support
  * simpler index configuration
  * full NACO-normalized authority linking and tracing
  * hold freezing
  * faceting and new browse interfaces
  * exposing of the advanced search syntax

just to name a few.  We'll probably see some early betas of the ACQ
and serials systems during the 1.3 cycle, though I'm not going to
promise that for 1.4 -- which will be out some time in the fall, if
all goes well.

Anyway, I wanted to get this out there (thanks, Dan, for poking me
about this -- and I'm only a week late!) so that others can start to
get a feel for where we're heading.  We've a long road ahead, but we
have a good working base.  As more of you get involved in every area
progress will speed up.

It's obvious to me that we're on the right track, and I can't wait to
see what we all come up with in the future!

Thank you, all of you, and keep up the great work.

--
Mike Rylander