Migration from Horizon (was: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers)

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 09:52:42 EDT 2007

On 3/23/07, John Fink <john.fink at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey folks,
--Hey John ;)

> Longtime user of OSS in libraries here, starting in 1995.  I've always
> always been frustrated with commercial ILS vendors and have long wanted to
> see a robust open source ILS offering.  About three or so years ago I did
> some messing about with Koha and found it okay, but not quite what I was
> looking for.  The recent rise of Evergreen excites me treeee-mendously.
>
> My library is a III shop and will remain that way for the forseeable future,
> but it never hurts to keep ones options open.
>
> A question:
>
> My belief -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- is that most of the
> Evergreen libraries are probably conversions from Horizon.  Is there some
> sort of document describing migration from a Horizon setup to Evergreen?
> Does the lack of acquisitions and serials significantly impact adoption?
--Right now, I think PINES is one of the only Evergreen live
implementees, but there are more coming soon ;).  With Dynix's recent
announcement regarding Horizon (and the responses thus far on the
thread), I don't think it'd be unreasonable to give conversion from
Horizon a priority.

Just to protect my arse, Dynix and Horizon are probably registered
trademarks or trademarks of SirsiDynix.

> jf
>
> --
> http://libgrunt.blogspot.com -- library culture and technology.