[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers

Michael Silver msilver at prl.ab.ca
Fri Mar 23 11:42:56 EDT 2007

Hello,

I am also another recent subscriber from a certain ILS vendor.

I'm a sys admin type - not a programmer or a professional librarian. I
started working with libraries back in the mid-1990's, and have been
working full-time here for about 8 years. I have worked with multiLIS,
classic Dynix, and Horizon.

I'm a big fan of open-source software. I would love to see our system
move to an open-source ILS, but the functionality has got to be there.
Like most of the new subscribers, I find Evergreen and Koha to be of the
most interest. The fact that Evergreen is designed for consortial use is
a big plus, but the absence of acq and serials is a huge stumbling block
for us. We were extremely excited to see the announcement of the
partnership with University of Windsor. I especially appreciate Art's
post on the details of the project.

There's also interest at the provincial level in an open-source ILS that
could meet the needs of our counterparts in Alberta.

Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting ride...

Michael

Michael Silver, Network Administrator
Parkland Regional Library
5404 56 Avenue Lacombe, AB T4L 1G1
Phone: 403.782.3850    Fax: 403.782.4650
http://www.prl.ab.ca/  msilver at prl.ab.ca