Horizon to Evergreen Migration (was Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers)

Jason Stephenson jstephenson at mailserv.mvlc.lib.ma.us
Fri Mar 23 10:52:03 EDT 2007

John Fink wrote:
> A question:
>
> My belief -- and please correct me if I'm wrong -- is that most of the
> Evergreen libraries are probably conversions from Horizon.

No, but a lot of Horizon libraries are now interested in options since
our vendor has cancelled the next version of our product.

>  Is there
> some sort of document describing migration from a Horizon setup to
> Evergreen?

There isn't, but since I plan to load our test Evergreen system with
data from our Horizon system, something like that might come about at a
later time.

Also, we are not presently planning to migrate to Evergreen. We want to
explore the capabilities and possibilities of the system. My main aim is
to see how much work it would take to make it suitable for us, and to
help with code patches in that direction if necessary.

I have some experience with contributing to F/OSS projects in the past,
and I see this as an opportunity for our consortium and for libraries in
general.

>  Does the lack of acquisitions and serials significantly
> impact adoption?

These are not issues for our consortium. We do not use either of these
modules from our current vendor. Quite frankly, neither of them would
have worked for us.

There has been some interest from our members in getting an acquisitions
module, but the one from our current vendor lacks basic security
functionality. One location can alter another location's acquisitions
setup for instance.

While acquisitions would be a nice thing to have, it is not currently a
requirement for us.

Cheers,
Jason Stephenson
Merrimack Valley Library Consortium