[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] 226 subscribers

Deanna Frazee dfrazee at ci.killeen.tx.us
Sat Mar 24 09:19:48 EDT 2007

To some extent, Brandon is right:  library management can be risk-adverse.  But that has changed significantly over the past few years, and the announcement of the demise of Horizon is likely change how many in management view the risk associated with integrated library systems.

I am a director and sys admin, which may be why I view open source as being the least risky option, but overall I think library management will come to see proprietary systems as the riskier option.  We make large intial investments in the ILS we choose, and then spend a signficant amount each year on the support of the system.  If we find ourselves looking at replacing the ILS because the vendor decides to discontinue development, we end up looking bad when we tell the funding authority that we have to replace a product in which we had invested hundreds of thousands of dollars.  In the public library world, the funders often do not handle this news well and think the library director is an incompetent lout.  Open source may be our best option to get around that problem.

But our biggest concern is that we need to keep the status quo for our patrons.  Users often do not take well to major changes in the interface.  You can change the look and arrangement a little, but if you take away something or require them to learn new processes to search, reserve items or check their account, you may face a very public, brutal backlash.  You become the evil librarian intent on keeping them from accessing their account to avoid overdues, forcing their children to fail homework assignments and wasting tax dollars on useless computer systems.  Creating this sort of ire can be as simple as changing from ILS A to ILS B, or in my case, it was automating two libraries and dumping the card catalogs.  Nobody could use the darn card catalogs without the librarian's help, but the minute you throw them out, you get accused of making the library completely inaccessible.

If you change the underlying architecture or even the staff side of the ILS without making the patrons crazy, you have a winner.  Well, you do if the new architecture does not adversely affect the staff.  There will always be some griping, we just want to avoid a sharp backlash.

Open source has a great deal of potential to allow us to have systems that can be improved without the changes being terribly obvious to the users.  Most library directors are just now learning about open source options.  Give it a little more time to sink in, and then attitudes will start changing.  At least one vendor certainly helped to catapult open source options into the spotlight last week.  I think that one event will do more to turn management toward open source than anything else.

But I have been wrong before.  That's just my 2 cents worth,

Deanna Frazee