[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Introduction (Re: 226 subscribers) and SomeQuestions

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Wed Mar 28 18:01:57 EDT 2007

I think this is a good point. I personally suspect that if you can
afford your current SD support contract, you can afford an Equinox
support contract too, probably more easily.  I suspect that even
migration costs with Equinox support will be affordable compared to
the alternatives. At some point in the near future I hope we can
start getting more realistic figures on total cost of ownership for EG.

I wonder if Equinox will, contrary to the usual practice in the
industry, be able to give some public very rough estimates of
migration and/or ongoing support contracting costs for some sample
library sizes/types.  It might go a long way to assuaging some fear
about EG total cost of ownership.  I'm also not sure if everyone
realizes that support contracts from Equinox (and possibly other
vendors) are indeed available for EG, even though it's open source.
Open source just means you don't have to pay for licensing, and don't
HAVE to pay for support. You still can pay for support if you want
to. (Even better from a customers point of view, if the support
market matures, you can switch support vendors while keeping the same
product!).

Jonathan