[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SPAM: Belated introduction, and a couple of questions

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Fri May 4 12:06:59 EDT 2007

Hi Fred!

If you would like to play with Evergreen from a SysAdmin P.O.V., some
contributors have made VMWare images available for download [1].

Right now, I believe the most common base for Evergreen is Debian, as
this is what the production PINES[2] servers use (if my memory serves
me properly).  There has been some contributing effort for Ubuntu,
Gentoo, Fedora (RedHat) among others.  Everybody seems to have a
different distribution of choice.  For my personal, everyday use I use
Fedora Core because I'm not looking to spend a ton of time maintaining
it.  However, for Evergreen, I would prefer Debian for now[3].

As Ms. Stephan said in a follow-up to your message, O'Reilly publishes
some very nice books related to Open-Source software.

Right now, the Evergreen installation is fairly complex [4].  However,
I know there are some contributors whom are working to make the
installation easier and more portable.

Most ILS's have *some sort* of exporting mechanism.  For bibliographic
and item records, usually these can be imported into Evergreen without
a ton of work (for most, executing a customized script).  However, the
Patron database may be a different story (but, if you can find a way
to export it, we can probably find a way to import it ;)).

For the server(s), the ideal configuration would vary depending on
your exact specs and existing configuration.  Evergreen can run on as
little as 1 server, or can scale to a large cluster.  Just as an
example... say your organization already has a PostgreSQL server and
an Apache web server.  You would then, perhaps, need a "worker"
server.  The Apache configurations and modules could be loaded on the
existing web server for the OPAC.  The existing PostgreSQL server
could be used for your databases (it should have an awesome amount of
RAM, CPU, and backup capabilities already).  The "Worker" server[s]
could then be used for the jabber[5] server, the OpenSRF system and
workers, and another web server (this one for the staff clients).

Evergreen is _very_ flexible.  Of course it is, it's open source
software! But, I mean above and beyond that... It was designed to
simultaneously meet the needs of several diverse libraries.  It really
is an awesome system!

Another thing I want to mention here... Like most Open-Source
software, you are not alone.  There are companies to support your
installation if you need it.  If you wanted, an independent consulting
company could build you a server ready to install and use.  They can
also integrate the Evergreen system into your existing network so as
to eliminate redundancies (IE: separate database and web servers).
On-going maintenance and on-call support is available.  If you wanted
to, there is even the possibility of having Evergreen hosted in the
consultants' datacenter! (all you would need to worry about is running
the staff clients and keeping an Internet connection[6]).

I hope this answers some of your preliminary questions.  Please do not
hesitate to get in touch again with any more that you may have!

Sincerely Yours,
--Don

[1] http://www.open-ils.org/cvs.html
[2] PINES, the state library network for Georgia.  >250 libs sharing a
single Evergreen system.
[3] Simply because this is what "The Guys" use on production.
[4] Not necessarily by intent... but there's a lot of manual work
involved to get the installation to work proper.
[5] Although you could use an existing jabber server, Evergreen
requires some configurations that may not be ideal for the rest of
your network... Example, caching of offline messages.
[6] Even an Internet connection isn't really required... Evergreen has
a _wonderful_ offline function built right in to the client!