[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SPAM: Some questons about Evergreen

Frances McNamara f-mcnamara at uchicago.edu
Fri May 4 14:17:08 EDT 2007

We have put up the Gentoo image on VMware and are using it single user,
via VNC.

I was able to go in and immediately Z39.50 to LC and OCLC (using our
passwords) and to Import bib records.  I figured out how to Create some
bib records.  I figured out how to create some items and check them in
so they show up in the web catalog.  I figured out how to Edit a MARC
record after it was added.  I added some books, sound recordings,
scores, dvds and can see them in the pac.

I mostly did this without documentation, only using the help button in
MARC Edit and create, so I have some questions about what I am seeing.
If there is user doc I should look at, let me know.  I can see this
works fine for some collections.  I purposely looked into some of the
things important to a large academic like us.

1.  When I Import a MARC record there seems to be a capability to
Overlay.  Is there any doc that describes how that works?  (actually a
lot of our real work would require a loader for files of MARC records,
but I would think that could be developed or the scripts to batchload
initial loads could be adapted.  We do use such utilities a lot and they
allow for some data modification during import including deleting or
moving data and automatic creation of items.)

2.  When I Create a MARC record while typing in the 100 Author field it
gave a message about how there was no authority record for that name.
Are authority records used in this system?  If so, how do they get in
there?  Can you Create MARC an Authority record as well as a bib
record?  We actually send out bibs and load authority records.  Is that
done in this system?  Are the cross references and see also references
used in any way?  Seems like all the indexes are Keyword, so I'm not
sure how references in authority records would be used.

3.  When I Create or Edit a MARC record, if I save it with empty
variable fields they stay in the record.  That was disconcerting as most
systems get rid of them on save.  Not a big deal, but you might want to
fix.  I had a lot of difficulty editing the Fixed Field.  The 008
displays as a labelled display at the top, and then as a plain field
down in the variable fields.  When I did Ctrl/F8 as per Help it wouldn't
let me edit in the labelled part.  It let me edit down in the 008 but I
couldn't figure out how to edit it so it was correct.  I was unable to
add Date1 and place of publication code to the 008 when I created a new
bib.  Seemed like I should have been able to, so maybe I was doing it wrong.

4.  When I create a MARC record, is there somewhere that data about when
that bib was created, or changed or who did it is kept?  Systems do this
in various ways.  In my current system there is also a "bib_status" and
a "staff_only" flag.  We use those because we add and display bibs that
are on order or in process but then we don't send them to set holdings
in OCLC until they reach a "full cataloging" type of status.  We also
export records for various reasons based on such a status.  Is there
anything like that in Evergreen?

5.  After creating a MARC record I went to "Holdings maintenance" to add
what I would call an item record.  I could add item or items and save
them.  It seems like there is the idea of a "location" in the sense of a
"Branch" that I had to choose before Creating the items.  But there does
not seem to be an idea of a "collection".  So if in that branch they
have a separate "Reference Collection"  Where do you put that
information so the user knows to go to a special place, not the regular
stacks to get the piece?

6.  When I create a single item it nicely grabs the Dewey and LC call
numbers from the MARC bib and lets me choose one and "Apply" it so I
don't have to retype it.  It defaults to the Dewey number.  Can I assume
I could default to the LC number if I wanted to?  Or not pick up the
Dewey number?

7.  When I created an item, for a single piece it was OK except that we
mark each book "c.1" on the spine even if we only ever get one copy.
It's not clear where that should go.  It is obviously much more
important when you get to multiple volumes.  I created a record for a 2
volume set.  There is nowhere to put the volume numbers except in the
call number field after the call number.  I input a more complicated
example by putting in PC world, a magazine, and making numerous items.
So they have call numbers like   QA76.8.I26P3 c.1 v.22 (2004:
Jan-Jun).   I put all that in the call number fields for v. 20-23.  When
I looked at this in the pac the items did not sort in correct order even
though I had put them in in order, which seems odd.  Also when there are
multiple volumes with the same call number you get a separate listing
for every single volume or copy in the Browse call number list.

Is anyone having problems with putting copy and volume information into
the call number field?  Are there any plans to have separate fields for
that type of information?  It might be needed.

Also, in a lot of systems between the bib record and the item records
there is a layer of "copy" records.  This becomes important with Serials
where there might be one copy in the main library and another in the law
library.  The items get grouped together by the "copy".  They also get
summary holdings based on that copy because eventually listing all the
items isn't useful and you want to say v.20-25 instead.  We tend to have
separate copies for the bound volumes which shelve in the stacks, as
opposed to the unbound issues that shelve in the "Current periodicals"
section.  Is there any plan to put a copy record between the bibs and
items?  Or does such a copy record actually exist in the background
somewhere?

8.  When I create an item, the bib did not show up in the pac until I
checked in that item.  We don't do that.  We have too much stuff going
through, it just goes to the shelf, they cannot stop and check it in
before doing that.  Is there an option to not have to check it in?
Actually we have some items where we have a flag "staff only" so it
won't display in the pac and we have some bibs with that sort of "staff
only" flag too.  Is there anything besides the status of the item that
controls that in Evergreen currently?

9.  When creating items there is an option to print spine labels.  I
looked at that briefly.  It seemed like it did not work well with LC
call numbers.  Is there somewhere that you set up a bit of code to break
up LC call numbers?  Also, can you edit directly into the little box
that displays how the label will look?  I wasn't sure if I could do that.

10.  Is it true that there are only Keyword indexes.  Do people think
there is a need for the type of Browse indexes in current library
catalogs?  Usually that is where the cross references and see also
references in authority records have been used.

11.  One other thing.  Of course we would assume we would need to
contribute to development if we were thinking of trying to use this, but
do you think this software could work for a database of 5.2 million bibs
and 7 million items?

I'm sure we'll have other questions but as I start to look at this, I
just want to make sure I am not missing some documentation or
misunderstanding any of the basic functions.  Thanks.

Frances McNamara
University of Chicago Library