[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Re: visibility

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Mon May 7 14:57:39 EDT 2007

> Another option, assuming items exist, is simply to create a "staff
> only" location (either shelving or organizational "sub-library") and
> mark that as invisible to the public OPAC.  This is probably more
> flexible overall.

This may not be viable for some organizations. Sometimes one doesn't like
to mess with the location, because if you are temporarily making the item
'invisible', you will need to remember what it's 'real' location is, to
set it back to that when it should be visible again. Alternately, the part
of the workflow where 'location' is assigned may come _before_ the part of
the workflow where the record is actually finished enough to show to the
user.

I suspect that in many environments, an independent "publically visible"
flag will really be required. I think in my own it would be.

Jonathan