[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Re: visibility

Jason Etheridge jasone at georgialibraries.org
Mon May 7 15:35:04 EDT 2007

On 5/7/07, Jonathan Rochkind <jonathan at dnil.net> wrote:
<snip: shelving locations and sub-library locations>
> This may not be viable for some organizations. Sometimes one doesn't like
> to mess with the location, because if you are temporarily making the item
> 'invisible', you will need to remember what it's 'real' location is, to
> set it back to that when it should be visible again.

Hey Jonathan,

If you're at a point where you're dealing with items (and say, have
them grouped into an item bucket), then you can just batch edit a
visibility flag for the items.  Then later, you can revisit the bucket
later and change them back.

Also, when it comes to library locations, there's the concept of
Owning Library (which is really on an Item's Volume/Call Number) and
Circulating Library (on the item level).  Usually, both are the same,
but some PINES libraries handle rotating collections by setting the
Circulating Library to something different.  You could do something
similar with Circulating Library for library locations that are
hidden, etc., and just change them back to match the Owning Library
later.

I like the first option better; the other developers seem to thwap me
when I come up with hair-brained schemes like the latter. :)

--
Jason Etheridge
GPLS -- PINES Development