[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Open-ils-general Digest, Vol 11, Issue 11

David J. Fiander djfiander at fastmail.fm
Mon May 7 17:21:07 EDT 2007

On 7-May-07, at 10:34 , Fitzgerald, Carol wrote:

> Jason, one of my pet peeves about our current system is that we
> have to
> check in items after we've added them.  Our vendor rep informed us
> that
> it was put in at the request of public libraries (their largest client
> base) who needed it to cut down on errors.  I neve quite got the logic
> of that.

Carol,  I'm going to try to explain the logic behind this idea.  I
work in a large academic library, and we have a lot of new material
being added every week (hundreds of monographs and even more serial
issues).  Because we're a multi-branch system, the cataloguing gets
done centrally, and then the item is shipped to the home branches,
and it's useful to have to check items in after they've been added
because there can be a few days between the time that something is
fully catalogued and the all of the processing has been completed and
the item is ready to go on the shelf in the home branch.

Checking the item in prior to shelving means that users aren't
spending time looking for something that's not quite there yet.

- David

--
David J. Fiander
Digital Services Librarian