[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Writing an Evergreen manual

Murphy, Sally smurphy at georgialibraries.org
Tue Oct 9 12:01:22 EDT 2007

Hi, all -

I haven't heard much about the EG manual in a while, but some decent
static documentation for this project is really needed, particularly for
end-users (i.e., library staff), so here's an email to get it back on
everyone's mind. =)

I see that something has been added to the Wiki on the website
concerning the manual, however, the information there isn't particularly
useful for potential contributors.  May I suggest that we include
instructions for submitting sections.  By instructions, I mean something
like:

"If you would like to contribute documentation to the EG manual, send
your submission as XML files in the docbook format to the Open-ILS Dev
listserv with "EG Manual Submission: <short description>" in the subject
heading.  If your submission includes more than one file, please
compress them, in the proper file-structure."

Also, I, could use some example XML - I have no interest in writing out
a manual in XML; I've been using OpenOffice and Excel for QA
documentation, which will be the starting point for my EG manual
submissions.  A template or an example would be really useful for me to
port over some of that information, and I'm sure other potential
contributors would find some templates useful.  I suggest that the
original example skeleton sent to this list be linked or uploaded, or
turned into some templates (like chapter template).

Also, what kind of support does doc books have for graphics, and
formatting pages with them?  Focusing on end-user stuff, there will be
lots of screenshots, diagrams of menus, pictures of icons, and such.
I'm sure docbooks must support this kind of thing, but haven't really
had the time to delve into looking for that information.  If anyone out
there knows more about this than me, it might be nice to just put some
of that information here on the list, or, better yet, on the wiki in the
section on the EG manual.

Just some thoughts

-Murphy

(GPLS QA for Evergreen)

Some say the world will end in fire and ice.  Others say it will be
segfaults.