[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Gentoo, OpenSRF development branch, and login failures [SOLVED]

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 20:31:55 EDT 2007

Hi folks:

After trying out Evergreen with the development version of OpenSRF, I
noticed that I was suffering from intermittent login failures.  I ran
into this problem on and off for quite some time, figured out the
solution (with Mike Rylander's help!), and thought it would be worth
posting my finding to the general list in case anyone else out there
stumbles across this problem.

The version of libmemcache installed by Gentoo (1.2.4-rc1) does not
include some important memory management patches that affect the
caching of authentication seed values, among other data. Installing
the latest development release of libmemcache (1.4.0-rc2), then
rebuilding the development version of OpenSRF and Evergreen, solved
the problem.

I have updated the Gentoo install instructions accordingly (at
http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=installing_prerequisites_on_gentoo).

To recap, this is only a problem if you're running an old (1.2.x)
version of libmemcache with the development version of OpenSRF. This
problem will not affect you if you have a recent version of
libmemcache or are running OpenSRF 0.9.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University