[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Loan Periods and Fines (was Re: Question forconsortiums)

Hardy, Elaine ehardy at georgialibraries.org
Mon Dec 1 14:25:00 EST 2008

The PINES member libraries decided that it would be much easier for
patrons and staff if loan periods and overdue fines were the same for
all libraries. We have extensive Intra-PINES loans, so having different
fines for libraries would be a nightmare. The overdue fines PINES
libraries collect for items from other libraries are retained by the
collecting library. For a consortium our size, the internal accounting
individual libraries would need to do to keep track of which owes what
to which would probably cost more than the fines collected. But it
mainly keeps the patron experience equitable throughout PINES.

While there is an agreed upon default replacement cost for materials,
processing fees for lost/damaged items are determined by each library
system.

________________________________

J. Elaine Hardy
PINES Bibliographic Projects and Metadata Manager
Georgia Public Library Service,
A Unit of the University System of Georgia
1800 Century Place, Suite 150
Atlanta, Ga. 30345-4304
404.235-7128
404.235-7201, fax