[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 00:04:41 EST 2008

Great stuff, Geoff!

On 30/01/2008, geoffs at eclibrary.ca <geoffs at eclibrary.ca> wrote:
> Quoting Dan Scott:
>
> > "What are the base requirements that have to be in place before we, as
> > an academic library, or consortium of academic libraries, can migrate
> > to Evergreen?"
>
> Thanks for starting this thread! Here are some others we would need:
>
> 1) A z39.50 server (or z39.50 metasearch?)
> For us, it wouldn't need to be a full z39.50 implementation at first.
> Most important would be the ability to respond to search requests from
> our consortial ILL z39.50 portal. And really, I'd like to be able to
> plug in results from our OpenURL resolver as well, since we don't have
> our e-journal holdings in the library catalogue. (Okay, okay, the ILL
> portal should be able to look in two places, but it doesn't)

Note that Josh Ferraro did write a Z39.50 server for Evergreen a few
years back that I posted to the list at
http://list.georgialibraries.org/pipermail/open-ils-dev/2007-October/002018.html
- it probably needs some updating to make it work with recent
Evergreen builds, however.

The strategic direction that Mike indicated he would like to take is
to build an SRU interface for Evergreen, then layer a Z39.50 -> SRU
interface on top of that.

> 2) Advance booking
> Similar to holds, except we would like the ability to reserve
> materials for a specific time in the future (e.g., a professor wants
> to show a video in a class two months from now). So, if the material
> is checked out slightly before the time, the loan period might need to
> be shortened. Also, the ability to create recurring bookings and to
> add many items into one booking (like a shopping cart). It gets a bit
> tricky when we have multiple, identical copies of an item to be
> booked...

Would you want patrons (or specific groups of patrons) to be able to
place an advance booking directly, or would you prefer requests to be
mediated through a staff person? Or perhaps allow patrons to place
requests, but have them mediated electronically?

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University