[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Mon Feb 4 09:46:55 EST 2008

It sounds to me like you're asking for EG to take over ILL
functionality currently typically implemented in ILL software
packages that are not part of an ILS?

To me, the best solution here is for EG to support loosely coupled
integration with external ILL packages.  In general, the future
direction many of us see for library systems infrastructure is away
from gigantic monolithic systems whose parts are inseperable, and
toward suites of individual components which work well together, but
which are separate components which can be mixed and matched. To get
there, some things currently contained in typical monolithic ILS/LMS
packages are going to have to be separated out in a way that still
allows staff and patron _workflow_ to be integrated.  So taking
functionality that currently already is separated out and tightly
coupling it into a monolithic system would be the backwards direction!

On the other hand, these other components DO need to support a
tightly integrated _workflow_ with each other, which they don't now,
so there is work to be done.  Is there an existing satisfactory ILL
component that EG could be made to work well with?  (Open source _or_
proprietary, depending on the requirements of the customers).  If
not, perhaps it makes sense to create one, if there are resources to
do so--but still as an external project to EG, which can be made to
work very well with EG, not as an intrinsic part of a monolithic EG.

I hope that makes some sense.

Jonathan