SPAM: SPAM: RE: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen? -Evergreen Chinese version

Grace Liu gyliu86 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 4 16:16:20 EST 2008

Hi Mark,

Thank you. Please let us know if the Chinese librarians find any problems or have any questions or suggestions on our work. We do need more people participate or test on our project.

Grace

Subject: SPAM: RE: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen? -Evergreen Chinese versionDate: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 10:02:56 -0800From: mark.ellis at yourlibrary.caTo: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org

Grace,

This is very good news indeed.  We have a large Traditional Chinese collection, but as immigration patterns here have changed, Simplified Chinese is becoming more important.  I'm going to encourage our Chinese librarians to look in on your efforts.

Mark

From: open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org [mailto:open-ils-general-bounces at list.georgialibraries.org] On Behalf Of Grace LiuSent: Monday, February 04, 2008 8:35 AMTo: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.orgSubject: RE: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen? -Evergreen Chinese version

> Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 15:30:29 -0500> From: mrylander at gmail.com> To: open-ils-general at list.georgialibraries.org> Subject: Re: [OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?> > On Feb 1, 2008 2:22 PM, Mark Ellis <mark.ellis at yourlibrary.ca> wrote:> > Dan,> >> > Here are a few things we need:> >> > 1. The ability to support Chinese (both simplfied and traditional) in> > the data and interface. Your i18n efforts may make the latter just a> > matter of translation. Getting result sets sorted properly might not be> > as straightforward.> > Fortunately, we do have a plan for result set sorting. I know it will> work for simplified Chinese, but I'm not sure about traditional. The> plan is based on this* and the internationalization work that Dan and> I have been doing.> > * http://www.fi.muni.cz/~ad elton/l10n/.en> Jason Zou at Lakehead University and I (Grace Liu at University of Windsor) have been working on the Evergreen Chinese version since last November. The firs
 t version (for OPAC) had been released last month. See the following link: http://libnt2.lakeheadu.ca/opac/zh-CN/skin/default/xml/index.xml (at Lakehead University) or http://137.207.184.49/opac/zh-CN/skin/default/xml/index.xml (at University of Windsor) The interface is Simplified Chinese (it's easily to translate to Traditional Chinese). We've almost solved the indexing and searching issues with Chinese characters. It supports both Simplified and Traditional.  Jason has loaded a few Chinese records (both Simplified and Traditional) into the Lakehead site for testing. You can search "老子" to see the sample results. We are continuing to improve the interface and search function. We also plan to work on the result sets sorting issue shortly. For more information, please see the Wike: http://open-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-admin:customizations:chinese Also welcome to participate in our online Evergreen Chinese discussion group at: http://groups.google.com/gr
 oup/evergreencn?lnk=lr Grace