[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Gentoo VMware Image Question

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 16:27:17 EST 2008

On 08/02/2008, Rush Austin <rush.austin at buncombecounty.org> wrote:

> Hello Group,
>

> Prior to posting this I read the FAQ, the online documentation, and browsed
> through the Open-ils General Archives.
>

> I've downloaded the  1.2.0 Evergreen VMware image.
>

> Following the instructions I can successfully start the Evergreen related
> services and Apache.
>

> ifconfig reports that my inet addr is 127.0.0.1
>

> Here is where I get a bit fuzzy.  As I read the directions, I can point a
> browser on my host machine to http://127.0.0.1 and "see the beautiful
> default Evergreen catalog interface."
>

> I read this as open a browser outside of the VMWare environment, which is
> where I get confused.  I did not think I could interact with processes
> running in the VMware environment.
>

> Thank you for your kind assistance.

Hi Rush:

It sounds like your VMWare instance is just getting a local IP address
for the lo (loopback) network interface - what kind of networking
setup do you have for the VMWare instance's virtual networking card
(which should show up as eth0)?

For my Debian image, for example, I have the virtual network card set
to NAT. When I run ifconfig, I get two IP addresses:

eth0 <snip> 172.16.190.128 </snip>

lo <snip> 127.0.0.1 </snip>

I can connect to the eth0 IP address from my host machine. To connect
to the VMWare image from an entirely different machine, you'll
probably have to use Bridged networking to enable you VMWare image to
get its own IP address from your network.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University