[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 23:20:49 EST 2008

On 04/02/2008, Edward Corrado <corrado at tcnj.edu> wrote:
<snip>
> Also, an academic holds/reserves functionality is important, hopefully with built-in electronic reserves capability. Maybe if something could be tied into something like ReservesDirect ( http://www.reservesdirect.org ).

On this piece specifically, we looked at ReservesDirect earlier this
year and there are two barriers to using it with Evergreen:

  1) ReservesDirect is written in PHP, and while Evergreen has Perl,
Java, C, and Python bindings, nobody has stepped up to write PHP
bindings. Yet. It's just a simple matter of programming, right?

  2) ReservesDirect is not i18n-aware - it uses hardcoded strings and
many constructed strings - and as I'm in the midst of completing the
grunt work to make Evergreen i18n-aware, I'm not really keen on diving
into another application.

That said, I know that a rewrite of ReservesDirect is underway, and I
submitted a request / plea to make it i18n-friendly from the ground up
this time. So hopefully that barrier will magically go away with time
:)

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University