[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Gentoo VMware Image Question

John Schmidt jas at xmission.com
Sun Feb 10 07:03:09 EST 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008, Kermit Jones wrote:

> Is there an easier way to get the staff client working?  Can you access the
> staff client via browser?

Yes you can.    I use 'xulrunner application.ini' to launch the staff client.
I recommend doing a chroot install a couple of times to get a feel for what
you need to do to get things working.  And then when you are comfortable with
that, you can go ahead and install it on a vanilla Debian Etch machine.  I
have had several people tell me they are using  the installs in the chroot to
do some migrations and testing of the system, that was not my intent of the
chroot.

The purpose of the chroot is to allow an easier way to clean up an aborted
install and start over without messing up the regular Debian environment.
Once you can do a clean install a couple of times, I recommend using the
script in your regular Debian environment.

> I'll see about packaging the script as a .deb to handle dependencies, as
> well (or does the script also do dependencies?)

The script installs all dependencies and downloads everything that is needed
to get the system up and running.

I don't view the install script as something that you should use in a
production environment without some modifications, in particular one should
change passwords, since they are now published on the 'net courtesy of
google.    However, for test installs, and wanting to get something going to
try out Evergreen it is much like Dan's VMware Images.

John