[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] updated install scripts

John Schmidt jas at xmission.com
Thu Feb 21 17:07:56 EST 2008

On Thursday 21 February 2008, Kermit Jones wrote:
> Just a quick question, and i'm not a scripter so I won't say its obvious,
> but couldn't the script ask (in the beginning) for user names and
> passwords.  That way it is customized without the generics.
>
> I'm not sure how hard interactivity for that is.
>
> Thanks for the work, btw!  It really is awesome all that you have done.
>
> Kermit

Kermit,

I am sure it could.  There are ways to do this and hide several of the
questions that are asked along the way.  I haven't explored all what would be
required to achieve that, but it is certainly reasonable thing to think
about.

As a first pass though I just wanted the simplest thing possible to allow
people to get their feet wet with Evergreen.  In many respects, the first
route would be to use the VMware images that Dan provides.  Then the second
step would be to use my scripts to actually install the system.  Once they
are comfortable with it, then tweaking the script would be required for a
production environment.

I was probably targeting more of those folks that were doing feasibility
studies of Evergreen than anything else.

John