[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] What are your requirements for Evergreen?

Bryan Baldus bryan.baldus at quality-books.com
Wed Jan 30 13:57:28 EST 2008

>Catalogue: Do we have requirements beyond surfacing new functionality like
academic reserves, acquisition requests, etc in the catalogue?

Are there plans to add the ability to browse alphabetically, at least by
author, title, subject, if not also series/uniform title, call number, and
others? It seems to me that such an ability would be useful for all library
types. For an example of its implementation, see <http://catalog.loc.gov/>
or <http://authorities.loc.gov>. Improvements could be made, perhaps. For
example, it wouldn't necessarily have to be a full-page listing by
default--perhaps just a more complete listing on the side, with entire
headings rather than just $a of a name.

If I know the name of an author, for example, Shakespeare, William,
1849-1931 (NAR no 92032318 ) and want to find works either by or about him
(and/or want to choose only one of those options), is it be possible to do
so? Without retrieving records for Shakespeare, William, 1564-1616 that are
not related to the former?

If I search Wagner, Richard, I would like to be able to pull up works by
only one of them, after being able to choose which one. For example, if I
want all of the works of the musician Wagner, Richard,$d1813-1883 (NAR n
79089831), I would like the ability to have the search not show me records
with Wagner, Richard,$q(Richard S.), $d1953- (NAR n 96054284, heading should
be Wagner, Richard,$d1953-; author of The case for Mars) unless the musician
also appears on the record.

For cataloging, related to the above, and to "* Authority control: there is
some rudimentary authority control built into Evergreen today.", it would be
nice to be able to browse the authority file alphabetically and to see which
headings have authority records and which don't (for example, the initial
results page of a search at <http://authorities.loc.gov>).

Thank you for your assistance,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger