[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Fines in Evergreen

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Tue Jul 29 13:17:57 EDT 2008

Hi, Carol.

There was a somewhat relevant conversation on the open-ils-dev list
yesterday, but I will summarize it here so you don't need to dig
through the archives to find your answer. :-)

Fines in Evergreen are generated by a function called [creatively]
generate_fines(). The Evergreen server ships with a small Perl script
(which people generally call the fine generator) that can be scheduled
to run every day and generate fines.

If all the libraries on your Evergreen server don't levy fines, you
can just not run the fine generator, and fines will never accrue.

If only some libraries in your consortium (I'll assume you are a
consortium of libraries) don't levy fines, you can create Evergreen
recurring and maximum fine rules (that define the fine per recuring
unit of time - can be daily, weekly, etc., and the maximum for an
item), and assign those rules to a circulation in the circulation
scripts at check-out time (since fine rules are attached to a
circulation, not an item). And you can set up a rule with $0 max fine
and $0.00 recuring fine.

I hope this helps answer your question!

~B

Quoting "Fitzgerald, Carol" <Carol_Fitzgerald at nrel.gov>:

> Is there a way in Evergreen to completely turn off fines for those
> corporate and special libraries where fines are not levied?  One of the
> problems with SirsiDynix Horizon is that the fines program creates
> blocks on lost items that cannot easily be overrided if the item's
> original price is in the bib record. At our library, we have to change
> the price to zero before changing the status to lost.
>
> Carol Fitzgerald

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant
Public Library Services Branch
Ministry of Education