[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] LOC Z39.50 Search and ISBN numbers

Don McMorris don.mcmorris at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 14:12:29 EDT 2008

Hi RobertC,

By Voyager, I assume you mean the Library of Congress Voyager database
(one of the default targets in Evergreen).  Is this correct?

Now, I did a quick search on the LC (http://catalog.loc.gov) by that
ISBN, and also did not get any results.  This leads me to believe that
LC simply doesn't have a bibliographic record with this ISBN.  In this
case, the publisher probably simply may've applied a new ISBN for the
different format, and may not have submitted the alternate format to
the LC.

In short, the LC Voyager database does /not/ include all USA-published
books (and may even include some non-US published titles).

I'm sure there's a cataloger on-list that probably knows more than I
about the LC process... If so, please share ;)

--Don