[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] LOC Z39.50 Search and ISBN numbers

evergreen at copelan.com evergreen at copelan.com
Sun Jun 8 13:18:33 EDT 2008

I have been using the Z38.50 (voyager) search to import bib records into EG.  This is working well
and saving a ton of typing :-) but I have noticed one point that seems a bit strange.

Sometimes I don't find the exact ISBN number of a book.  I know that the copy is being loaded has
been out for a while (since we acquired it several years ago).

Example:
The Da Vinci Code   paperback ISBN 0-385-51322-4  Publisher: Doubleday.  The search yields nothing
for this ISBN

When searching for Da Vinci  in the Title and Brown, Dan in the Author there are 2 found:
ISBN 0385513755   Special Illustrated edition (my paperback has no pictures)
ISBN 0385504209    This is the hardcover edition.

Neither of these 2 seem to be correct for the paperback I have in hand.  My assumption so far has
been that the Voyager search would find at lease all USA published books.  Is this incorrect?

Thanks for any info.

RobertC