[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RFID

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Mon Jun 9 23:36:45 EDT 2008

Hi, David.

I can only speak to the piece about how RFID works in Evergreen.

I've been working today on a migration from Horizon to Evergreen at a
site with 3M RFID. On circulating machines, the RFID pad works as a
human-interface device, and simply is treated like a barcode scanner
or keyboard.

The pad has a software widget that runs alongside the Evergreen staff
client and reads (programmable) keypresses to know whether it should
be placed in securing or unsecuring mode -- we set this up to be F1
and F2 to mirror Evergreen check-in and check-out keypresses.

The RFID self-check machine just points at a SIP2 server like a
regular self-check machine, and it works fine too.

RFID was actually the easiest part of this migration, but YMMV. :)

Brandon

Quoting David Nuñez <dvngoku at gmail.com>:

> Hi
>
> I am interested to know if someone has implemented RFID in your libraries
> and how does it work actually?
> Do you receive sponsorship of a company?
> please let me know about the prices and costs of RFID implementation and how
> does it work with the evergreen system
>
> thank you David

Brandon W. Uhlman, Systems Consultant
Public Library Services Branch