[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Installation error

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 20:15:05 EDT 2008

On 12/03/2008, Gord Ripley <gripley at trentu.ca> wrote:
> Hi Dan:
>
>  As you will have noticed, I'm a little frustrated with the installation instructions for Debian/Evergreen. I realize many others have been able to use them successfully, but that doesn't help me. I recall not long ago seeing something on the Evergreen site to the effect that 'if you don't understand this (Linux detail), you shouldn't be here ... but I'd be surprised if most people really believe that. To be more just a `project', Evergreen needs solid, well-documented installation instructions with enough background explanation to enable non-expert users of Linux to navigate successfully. At least this is what I think.
>
>  So once I get this thing sorted out, I'd like to volunteer my help in refining the installation procedure. I don't know much about Linux (or the open-source packages being used by Evergreen), but this does put me in the position of being able to understand exactly what other non-experts are going to need to know, and where they are going to stumble.

Hi Gord:

Sorry, I actually didn't notice that you were that frustrated - and I
wasn't trying to be flip. When ejabberd gets it into its head that
it's running on a given hostname, it simply doesn't seem to want to
recognize any other hostname. My suggestion to try using localhost
comes from Bill Erickson's observation that ejabberd seems to work
reliably out of the box with 'localhost' and that that will be a
suitable configuration for single-server Evergreen installs.

The only case where you can't use 'localhost' in the configuration
files (at least in OpenSRF 0.9 / Evergreen 1.2.x) is in opensrf.xml's
<hosts> section, where you have to use the fully qualified domain
name.

And, for what it's worth, your offer to help comes from exactly the
same motivation that got me writing the first install docs. Your help
would be appreciated.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University