[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Questions

Brandon W. Uhlman brandon.uhlman at bclibrary.ca
Mon Nov 24 20:41:49 EST 2008

Hello, Jacque.

The Sitka initiative in British Columbia has migrated sites from
Sagebrush Athena to Evergreen, and will be migrating additional sites
over the next several years, so it can be done. I'd encourage you to
send what questions you can to the list, so everybody can learn from
the answers, but if there are questions you feel you need to deal with
off-list, you can e-mail me and I can try to answer them. :)

The IT time involved will depend on the size of the system and the
knowledge of your staff. Some Evergreen sites (Georgia PINES, BC
Sitka, the coming Conifer consortium in Canada, UPEI) host their own
Evergreen implementations. Equinox, the corporate support effort
consisting of the original Evergreen developers, also provides
software-as-a-service hosting for Evergreen. Other companies might as
well, but that's not my area of expertise.

Of the locally hosting sites, most are large consortia and by
necessity are hosted 'offsite' from some or all of the using sites.
Some (Innisfil? UPEI?) host on-site. All access - public and staff -
is via HTTP[S], so hosting doesn't need to be local.

I can't comment authoritatively on Cyrillic support.

The new major release of Evergreen, 1.4, includes a bulk record
importer/exporter, called 'Vandelay'. If MARC Magician can export
files of records in MARC format, Vandelay should be able to import
them into Evergreen. Currently, a series of server-side scripts
(marc2vbre.pl, direct_ingest.pl, pg_loader.pl) can import files of
MARC records.

I hope this information is of some help to you. Please let the list
know if we can help you more!

~B

Quoting jgage at bartoncountylibrary.com:

> I don’t even know if this is the right place to ask questions about
> Evergreen.  I’m doing some legwork about looking into options for an ILS for
> a small theological seminary in Austria.  Open source looks like it might be
> an option for us to seriously consider, but those of us working on the
> project have some questions about Evergreen.
>
> *	We nee to be able access bib records in both the English and
> Cyrillic alphabets.  Reading that it appears work is being done to have the
> whole system in other languages, does anyone know if  it will include all of
> the languages that our students use (Bulgarian, Czech, Estonian, Hungarian,
> Polish, Romanian, Russian)
> *	Will Evergreen import MARC records in batches from MARC Magician?
> *	Has anyone migrated from Athena to Evergreen, and would they be
> willing to talk to us?
> *	I was surprised that I did not see a Sort by Call # option in the
> search results list (not a deal breaker, but nice to have).  Is this being
> addressed?
> *	How much IT time will a system like this involve?  Where is it
> hosted?  How much server space?  On or off-site hosting?
>
> Anyone who can direct me in the right direction to find answers to these
> (and probably a thousand more)??  Thanks in advance!
>
> .Jacque Gage
> Barton County Library
> 300 W. 10th
> Lamar, MO 64759