[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Google embeddable book search?

Lynne Welch welchly at oplin.org
Wed Oct 1 15:54:40 EDT 2008

I just came across this blog posting
http://booksearch.blogspot.com/2008/09/book-search-everywhere-with-new.html

and was wondering if such a thing would work in the Evergreen PAC, and
how difficult it would be to implement?

We used to contract for Syndetic to provide book covers and
summaries/reviews and our readers really enjoyed being able to carry a
mental image of the cover to the shelf, but Syndetic's quality control
left quite a bit to be desired; links frequently led to the wrong items.

This is billed as "an open set of APIs," which leads me to believe it
*may* work, but then again I'm still trying to understand some of the
underlying differences between a Windows-based system (our current ILS)
and an open-source one such as Evergreen.

Technical details, if anyone would care to investigate, are here:
http://code.google.com/apis/books/

Lynne,
intrigued by the concept but sadly uninformed as to the practicalities <g>

Lynne Welch
Herrick Memorial Library
Wellington OH USA