[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature inquiry

Mike Rylander mrylander at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 15:28:19 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 3:14 PM, Stuart Miller <stuartwm at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> We consider export to RefWorks (and also to EndNote) as base-line features anymore. So my question is: why WOULDN'T you include this? At the very least a generic export.

Because, to date, nobody has championed the feature.  Well, that's not
entirely true.  Dan Scott has expressed interest in both having and
helping develop support, as well as pointing me at some reference
docs.  But it hasn't made its way up the priority list yet.  With
resources to devote it would be very simple.

> The ability to create a list is also really standard anymore from our point of view--we have it in Horizon Information Portal (HIP) and just got the feature into our AquaBrowser implementation (we call it Lens). While you don't have to be logged in to create a list in HIP, the list is only there for the duration of your session. If you are logged in, you can save multiple lists. In Lens, you must be logged in to create a list, but anyone can export citations and print. In HIP, you can email your lists; in Lens, you can export lists to EndNote, RefWorks or print them. [Emailing from Lens is presumably coming later--altho I personally wonder, given our primary users and the existing exports, whether the feature is as useful as it used to be--or still is in HIP since you cannot export a list, just email it. The RefWorks export in HIP (which we had to add as a customization) works only for individual records.

If added via XSLT this would work for both individual records and
bookbags.  If an ephemeral bookbag feature were added, we'd want to
leverage the existing feed-generating infrastructure to accept a
(short-ish) list of record ids to turn into a feed of all available
formats.  Add a RefWorks XSLT and there we are.  :)

I ... don't think we'll be touching EndNote any time soon, given the
current environment.

> And while you're asking, what about tagging? I think it's fair to say that Web 2.0 features are expected these days--and not just by the younger users. We need to keep library user interfaces more up-to-date more quickly than has been the case in the past. E.g., most database vendors had citation export features LONG before we got it into the old OPACs.

Tagging in planned.

--miker

--
Mike Rylander