[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature inquiry

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Mon Oct 6 18:58:49 EDT 2008

On Oct 6, 2008, at 3:28 PM, Mike Rylander wrote:

> I ... don't think we'll be touching EndNote any time soon, given the
> current environment.

That's a mistake. The EndNote threats against GMU are about something
else (using EndNote style definitions to output human-readable
bibliographic citations), not about export to EndNote format, which
of course EndNote is happy to have as much software as possible do,
as it supports their product.

Unless you mean as a political statement to 'punish' EndNote for
their threats?  If you're worried about EndNote legal action against
you for supporting export to EndNote, you ought not to be. And it's a
feature that academic users will want.

EndNote would surely clarify that for you if you emailed them. Which
would, come to think of it, be a useful political message to them
too. "Hey, we heard about you suing a university for using your file
format, now we're scared to implement an export to EndNote feature in
our software. Are we allowed to do that?" They will surely say "yes,
please", but it will send a message about what they are doing to
their image, and potentially to their market share too.

Jonathan