[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Tagging and SOPAC

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 6 17:57:48 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Stuart Miller <stuartwm at uchicago.edu> wrote:

> I certainly don't object to making tagging optional, but I think it really
> is something that every library should offer.
>
> I agree that tagging can be quite messy and inevitably leads to situations
> such as you describe. But after all, you DID find the product with just the
> one term, so does it matter that others added many variants?
>
> Sorry, not really directly relevant to Evergreen development!
>
> Stuart Miller

I'd argue the question of the value of tagging does have relevance -- it's a
question of feature advocacy. Is tagging important? Messy? Underutilized?
Overhyped? Often badly implemented? Useless without scale? A perk that makes
users feel good about themselves, whether or not they use the feature? All
these views of tagging are valuable information for determining the value of
this feature -- as is the aggregate zeitgeist of the Evergreen community.

I haven't gotten to this yet (still climbing out of the barrel from being in
Access -- what a great conference!) but I will be posting more about this
list and how to use it. "General" means "general" -- don't feel you have to
hold yourselves to "technical" discussions. (We have a developers' list.)
Me, I'd like to see more "need this feature" "no we don't" on this list.

But let me not use myself up on this topic on this post. ;) I would like to
note that at the Access 2008 Hackfest, Nick Ruest (McMaster) and Michael
Vandenburg (Kingston Frontenac Public Libraries) made a lot of progress on a
SOPAC-Evergreen integration. SOPAC offers a very interesting approach that
combines usability and scale in what appears to offer much promise for
getting people to actually use tagging.

Back to uploading pictures to Evergreen's new Flickr set, adding Access
links to the new Evergreen Delicious set, gathering links for the blog post,
etc...

(Dang, Jason beat me to this..! ;> )