[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Feature inquiry

Jonathan Rochkind jonathan at dnil.net
Tue Oct 7 18:57:35 EDT 2008

I think the only point at which a user would actually be motivated to
tag something is when they are organizing citations for their own
use, one way or another. When they are saving a citation to their own
'book bag', or to making a request (saving it to their request list),
etc.  By and large, people don't tag just for the enjoyment of
tagging, or to provide useful query words for others. They tag to
achieve some personal goal. "personal value precedes network value”.
(http://bokardo.com/archives/the-delicious-lesson/)

So on the one hand, I'm skeptical in general of how much our users
are going to use tags. I think most experiments so far with tagging
in library catalogs have not achieved much use from users.   Perhaps
it should quite rightly not be a priority for the Evergreen
development. Are users asking for it? Would users use it? (Sometimes
users end up using something they didn't even know to ask for,
certainly---when it fills a need they have, but they didn't realize
to ask for it to fill that need. What need does tagging fill for the
user?)

To make tagging useful, I think you need two things. First you need
to identify and fill the "personal value".  How will the ability to
tag help the individual person doing the tagging?  If you've got a
'bookbag' feature that is useful enough that your users are actually
using it, and they are storing so much stuff in it that they might
have trouble keeping track of what they're stored there, you might be
already there. (How much use of the bookbag and what sorts of use is
Georgia seeing?). But if that's going to be the personal value that
motivates tagging, you've got to let the user apply the tags at the
moment of personal use. You can't say, oh, you can tag, but only
after you've checked out the book.  Nobody's going to go back to the
catalog to find a book they already checked out to add a tag. Users
find books in the catalog _before_ they've checked them out!

Then once you've got the personal value there, if you want to achieve
the network value, that's when aggregating tags accross multiple
institutions matters. But if users have got no motivation to tag, no
personal value, they aren't going to do it in the first place. In
that case, those worried about tags 'polluting' the catalog don't
need to, because there aren't going to be any tags there anyway.

Jonathan