[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Documentation examples and a question

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Mon Oct 13 18:18:07 EDT 2008

Some of you may know that there is a documentation project afoot, funded
through a Mellon grant to Georgia Public Library Service specifically for
this purpose. We have contractors working on this project as we speak.

However, we are also aware that some libraries have developed some very good
documentation -- a bit here, a bit there. You can see some examples from
Indiana Evergreen and SITKA here in this related Evergreen
delicious.combookmark set:
http://delicious.com/EvergreenILS/documentation

There are many different ways to present this information, but one approach
might be to link it here in the logical place within the documentation
hierarchy (with the authors' permission, of course!):

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=evergreen-user:evergreen_end-user_documentation

The librarian in me wants to add the format, date or version, and of course,
the author, and link to and provide access to each version.

The documentation worked on for the grant may incorporate bits from the best
documentation in the wild -- again with the authors' permission -- and
attempt to claim space as "the" documentation, so there is at least one
canonical version actively maintained.

Thoughts?