[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Horizon to EverGreen Conversation

Tim Jordan Tim at pcs-alaska.com
Wed Oct 29 12:17:13 EDT 2008

Hello and thanks for reading.

I'm a Systems Admin that has been asked to setup a test environment for
Evergreen.  I've done so on my laptop with the Vmware image available.
Nice way to get a quick look at the program!  I'm now in the process of
installing Evergreen on a standalone Debian server.  I'm about 1/2 way
through the install.

I'm now thinking ahead on the conversion process.  I know very little
about how this type of software works.  I know that the Horizon system
currently in use is a MSSQL back end.  Although I don't understand the
structure of the db's involved; I have migrated SQL to MySQL.  I'm
comfortable with MySQL.  I've never used Postgres.

Can anyone advise me on how I might start looking into the migration
process?

What might be a good way to test Evergreen?

Should I look at dumping the current Horizon db into my Evergreen test
environment?

Any pointers to organizations that have already done this (Horizon ->
Evergreen) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim Jordan