[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] A New Member With Questions

roland_mischke roland_mischke at sil.org
Wed Oct 22 21:30:50 EDT 2008

Hello All,

I'm taking you up on your statement that no questions are too dumb to be asked.  I have quite a few as I try to implement Evergreen on Debian Etch.  I have no experience with Unix/Linux.  Twenty years ago I was fairly familiar with DOS.

 Several months ago I installed Debian on a computer, and tried to add Evergreen on top of it.  Every set of "cookbook" instructions that I tried choked fairly early in the game.  So I gave up for a while.  Just recently I tried to install the VM version of Evergreen-Debian on a Windows Vista OS computer .  That, too, choked along the way, but I was able to muddle around and get it installed and working.  Then I found out that the Staff Client wouldn't work with it.

Question 1:   When will a working version of Staff Client for the VM version be available?  The promise in August was "soon".

Not being able to use the Staff Client on my VM installation, I used it to nose around the demo installation.  Since my first problem would be to get records into the system, I started looking for a way to do that from within Evergreen, and couldn't find any way to do it.

One import method I found on the website uses a complicated scheme of taking XML formatted records, making some sort of table from them, and then importing them into the database.  Seems rather kludgy to me.  I guess I could take my tab-delimited records, use MarcEdit to make MARC records, then use MarcEdit to change them to XML format, then use the suggested import scheme on them.

Question 2:  If the system can slurp up MARC records from Z 39.50, isn't there some way to get MARC records directly into the                                 system?

Enough questions for one night.

Thanks for your willingness to help.

Roland