[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] SPAM: Serials Management and the Collaborative Itch

Mark Leggott mleggott at upei.ca
Thu Sep 11 08:29:43 EDT 2008

Hi Dan,

Just to clarify on this - I am not suggesting that we throw out any
support for print issues, rather that we enhance the support in the
current CUFTS system for managing print. (For example, we can easily
manage the print holdings statement for print journals in CUFTS as it
is today - some changes would make it even better.) What I am
suggesting is that we think carefully about how much we need in terms
of print management, as some of the functionality in current ILS
systems would be unnecessary.

We have been talking more about this issue at UPEI in the last few
days and are thinking that the approach that you (and Mike) allude to
at the end of your response is the most sensible: manage resources in
the container that makes the most sense and reach in on behalf of the
user when appropriate, using a native Evergreen, or non-Evergreen,
interface to do that. A better approach than piling everything into
the same database...

I'm also sure that grafting a multi-language function onto the CUFTS
system would not be a huge requirement and one easily met by the open
source community.

Mark