[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Serials Management

Stuart Miller stuartwm at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 11 11:07:43 EDT 2008

I'd like to point out that while I would very much like to think prediction is no longer necessary, the fact is that nearly half of our active serial subscriptions are still print--and that's after cancelling print wherever we could for the electronic versions. We will be stuck for yet many more years with managing something like 20,000 print subscriptions. If anyone can figure out how we can maintain one key-stroke checkin and monitor claims WITHOUT prediction, we're all ears. I just don't think abandoning checkin and claiming for THAT many titles is possible--much as I would like to recommend it. That isn't to say we couldn't manage those print serials in some existing, proprietary stand-alone system and pull holdings data into a public interface, but I think this library (and other ARLs probably) would like to have usable serials control in an open source ILS. But given the cost of replicating prediction features (and who really wants to code that AGAIN?) and the fact that so many libraries CAN ditch prediction because the number of print subscriptions is so small anymore, I'm doubtful if ANY open source ILS is going to meet serials management needs like ours--unless of course the big libraries are willing to develop the needed functions. Such a thought gives me hives, but we might end up having no other choice. All the "choices" we have at the moment are most unappealing when it comes to serials.

Stuart Miller
Library Systems Analyst
University of Chicago