[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] evergreen-ils.org updated, CMS question

Karen G. Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Fri Sep 12 13:29:52 EDT 2008

Over the last month I've been rewriting some of the documents on
evergreen-ils.org and on the Evergreen Dokuwiki. I now have some
revisions to make to the pages I've revised (isn't it always that way)
but wanted to let you all know this much has been done.

See: http://evergreen-ils.org and (linked from it in various places) the
suite of six documents:

http://evergreen-ils.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=faqs:evergreen_faq_1

The one observation I have is that now half the website is wikified and
half is not. I leave it to your imagination which half is easier to
maintain... enables faster changes... is more collaborative... etc. ;)
I'll blog this, but to start with the list: in terms of community
involvement, a great non-development task for someone out there would be
to heave evergreen-ils.org into a CMS of some kind. The wiki is a sort
of CMS... but Plone, Drupal, etc. could be used.

I optimistically think this could be a great student internship--maybe
because I've taught as a library-school adjunct several times and
supervised slave lab--I mean, student projects that were beneficial to
everyone. But someone with some CMS and web design savvy could be a huge
benefit to the Evergreen project. (Why not I, you ask? Even though I did
manage to get Drupal up and running on a personal site for
experimentation's sake, I have no design sense -- the same reason I
haven't tweaked the CSS.)
One last comment: there are plans afoot to upgrade Debian on
evergreen-ils.org, which would pull the blog to at least WordPress 2.5*
but more significantly, would also mean that Dokuwiki would be upgraded
-- a big help as members of the Evergreen community work on
documentation, as the old version is hard to work with.