[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] RE: Serials Management

Edward M. Corrado ecorrado at ecorrado.us
Wed Sep 17 08:33:21 EDT 2008

David J. Fiander wrote:
> That's a very interesting site. Of particular interest is the "Survey
> on Vendor Support"
> http://www.loc.gov/acq/conser/patthold-vendorsurvey.html:
>
> Of the 11 vendors surveyed, 10 support MFHD, and they use that
> information to set up their issue predictions. But only 6 vendors use
> the $y regularity pattern to "anticipate normalized irregulars" (like
> the Economist or Library Journal combined/skipped issues).
>
> And NONE of the vendors support sharing MFHD with other ILS systems.
> Gotta love communication standards.
>
> - David

Yep. "We can program it better than the standard attitude" really hurts
us here. At least they should support exporting and importing using MFHD
even if they use something different within the ILS. Compared to a lot
of other things in the Library world, the MFHD is not really that
complicated. It is a shame that our systems make it so hard to share
this type of data even when there are standards. Hopefully Evergreen
will lead the way and make things like this work for libraries.

Edward