[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] "Relevant Subject" display error

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 15:56:11 EDT 2009

2009/4/13 Chris Caughey <CCaughey at jessup.edu>:
> For some reason, some spaces are being left out of headings that display in
> the bar on the left side of the catalog screen under “Relevant Subjects.”

The MARC records are first converted to MODS before being displayed.
For an example, see
http://demo.gapines.org/opac/en-US/skin/default/xml/rdetail.xml?r=12786&l=1&d=0

The raw MARCXML for this record is visible at
http://demo.gapines.org/opac/extras/supercat/retrieve/marcxml/record/12786

The MODS version of this record is visible at
http://demo.gapines.org/opac/extras/supercat/retrieve/mods/record/12786
- note that the 650$x of "N.T." has been converted to "N.T" (stripping
the punctuation) for the heading "Bible Stories, English". This is a
result of the standard MARCXML-to-MODS XSL stylesheet distributed by
the Library of Congress.

I haven't worked out exactly how the "N.T" gets appended directly to
the "Bible" with no intervening space, but my guess is that it's an
XPath expression in OpenILS/Utils/ModsParser.pm that blindly
concatenates the contents of the first XML element within the
<subject> array rather than recognizing that the first XML element, in
this particular case, is composed of two child elements.

> For example: “BibleN.T. John,” and “BibleO.T. Exodus.”  This negates the
> value of those hyperlinked subject headings, because when clicked on, they
> yield zero results.  I’ve double and triple checked the data entry in the
> MARC record, and it is correct.  Our library systems administrator does not
> see how to correct this either.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Yep, everyone else does. Which is good and bad, I suppose :)

> Does anyone have a solution to the problem?

No solution yet, but now that you've pointed out the problem and we
found a reproducible test case, it certainly will help narrow down a
solution.

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University