[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] The story of Evergreen virtual images: help wanted!

Jason Etheridge jason at esilibrary.com
Fri Apr 24 09:26:30 EDT 2009

> Would a .iso of a full Evergreen installation on either Ubuntu or Debian be
> a viable option?  Being able to pop in a disk, reboot the computer, and work
> with the software without having to install would move the evaluation of
> Evergreen into the "comfort zone" of quite a few people who can't or won't
> go through the extra trouble.

There are ways to make "live" cd's from existing Linux installations.
A live cd runs just in memory and from the cd, optionally with some
swap space from the harddrive.  I don't know if Evergreen would work
better or worse in such a restricted environment when compared to a
virtual image, but I imagine it would be more work than preparing an
image alone (could do a two-fer, prep a virtual image and build a live
cd from its contents).

The technical parts aren't the most difficult things here.  Evergreen
installation (for a simple single-server environment) has been
scripted before, so that it was essentially a one command operation.
We could make debian packages, etc.

The difficult part is maintaining them and keeping the process going,
and that needs continuing resources and commitment.  Documentation is
the same way.

Any takers? :)

--
Jason Etheridge