[OPEN-ILS-GENERAL] Problem reporting and tracking process (was: Books only coming up by TCN)

Karen Schneider kgs at esilibrary.com
Tue Aug 4 12:15:42 EDT 2009

I promised Dan this would not be forgotten -- I'm back from the latest
round of travel and raising this issue again!

> One of the things we discussed at the start of the Evergreen
> Conference "hackfest" was a need for a better coordination of feature
> enhancements as the community grows. We (core developers) were open to
> the idea of making better use of the community ticket system
> (http://svn.evergreen-ils.org/trac/ILS/report/1), but we need to
> figure out how to manage it (sanely, without spending all of our time
> munging ticket metadata and managing ticket system user accounts) as
> well as how to use it consistently. Right now the open tickets don't
> necessarily reflect what any of us are working on or towards in the
> community.

What if -- to begin with -- we had a scheduled, focused discussion
about this, for example, in an IRC channel (I offer that as a
concession to the developer-types who find that the most comfortable
group chat experience ;) ), where the pre-work for the discussion was
to bring one idea or one example of how another project manages this?

For example, I'm thinking, what if there were a "pre-ticket" system --
a workflow step that allowed more methodical collection and discussion
of issues? Like a Drupal forum where one of the fora was specifically
for bug reports, with a team that patrolled these reports to say "yes,
that's a bug," "no, you're doing it wrong," etc. -- with bugs flowing
back to the trac system managed by They Who Fix The Problems?

(Notice how in that example I've suddenly moved evergreen-ils.org into
Drupal -- a gal can dream, can't she?)